My Shop

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mariner's Compass/Compass Rose

I know it's been a while, but things are moving right along with replacing all of the damage. Weirdest and yet neatest thing happened yesterday. I was in a flooring store where the prices were right and the selection was great. As I was talking to one of the owners, I realized that there was a tile mosaic sitting on the shelf next to me. It was really interesting and beautiful. I asked about it and was told it was one of only two left in the shop. I turned around to look at the other one to find one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen. (Picture below!)  My Dad could navigate by the stars and was a fantastic yachtsman. I have a love for all things genuinely nautical and this is one of my favorite symbols. It comforts me that I will someday know the path to finding my Dad.

Not only does the mariner's compass remind me of my Dad, it's my favorite quilt block.You will probably see this symbol in my work from time to time. It's a pattern I love and will always return to for comfort.

This particular mosaic piece will be in my front foyer here in a few days and I just can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment